Thursday, March 12, 2009

Living in the big PNW

The view from the back of my house. It is very hard to get a good pic because too much light gets in or something technical like that.




I thought I would talk about our new little town up here because most of my friends and family have never ventured to the Pacific NW. It is really beautiful, but not quite what I pictured. This is only because everyone who has been there has used words like "stunning" and phrases like "the most beautiful place I've ever been", or "it was better than "Cats"." Someone told my mother that this area was more beautiful than Hawaii. I thought, whoa, that must be some beautiful stuff up there.

Well, here is what I think about that. Yes, beautiful. Two mountain ranges can be seen to the east and west. Water is everywhere. It's just not turquoise water. And not lined with palm trees. And that's kinda my thing.

It has been an average of 50 degrees since we got here, which is great, but still a little too cool to go out for walks with the kids. It has also been sunny every day, even if only for just a bit. And the rain? Well, only at night and early morning. Anything you've heard about this area is a lie. But since I'm not in Seattle, maybe it really is different there?


When I go out with the kids, I usually drive around somewhere new every time while they are sleeping (gives me a break). Today I saw that "The Mountain" (Mt. Rainier) was out in all it's glory, but I could not find a good place to pull over and stare at it. So I only saw it from the highway. You can't imagine the size of this mountain until you see it with your own eyes. You turn a corner and all of a sudden, you're like, "Holy $h#t!" It literally fills up the whole sky.

Nearby is a Norwegian settlement town, Poulsbo, which we'll be spending a lot of time in. It's just up the road a few minutes. Since I'm part Norwegian, I think it's a pretty cool place. Here is a pic I took of them there the last time it was pretty warm. Taken in front of the Viking ship. This is the last day they were in their baby car seats (boohoo for me). Caption: "Aack! The sun again, Mom!" For some reason, I always have Evan's face in the sun.


No comments: