Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Giant Patch

I took Evan to the pediatric cardiologist at Madigan Army Medical Center, just outside of Tacoma, today. His heart is checking out good, but there is still a small hole where the patch was placed. We hope that it will close as he gets bigger. For the first time, a cardiologist looked me straight in the eye and told me just how large the hole in his heart was. So large that he rarely sees babies with holes that large. What does that tell you? And then, of course, sad songs were playing all the way home.

In better news, Evan started therapy this week! Finally! An occupational therapist comes to our house once a week and we go to the therapy center once a week for physical therapy. We go there for PT because Evan gets to have his therapy in a warm pool! Evan, Amelia, the PT, and me are all getting in the pool. It should be interesting. His first session is tomorrow morning, so I'm sure I will have stories.

Both Evan and Amelia will be in a preschool class at the center once a week. It is funded by the school district to make sure premature and special needs toddlers are where they are supposed to be at developmentally. They get to play with neat sensory toys, learn to draw, push toys around, and have snack time with different cups and utensils. I think they are going to love it. So I guess my hectic, busy days are back...

Oh, and I almost forgot the reason I wanted to blog- Evan is 19 pounds! I just can't believe it. Four weeks ago he was 17 lbs, 14 ozs. I hope he keeps gaining like this. Amelia is still a peanut, but I think she's gotten taller. She's going to have longer legs than me in no time.

1 comment:

Laura said...

WOw, I'm jealous! A pool? And preemie kindergarten? That's some fancy stuff out there. Glad they finally got the ball rolling on something for you guys. But I'm sorry to hear that Evan's hole is so big. I guess Cupid's aim was too good when he matched him with you. Just means there's still more room to love.