Friday, January 30, 2009

So you want twins?...

WARNING. "SOMEONE" HAS TOLD ME THAT THIS IS "A VERY NEGATIVE BLOG." I LOVE MY TWINS AND MY FRIENDS WITH TWINS LOVE THEIR TWINS. OF COURSE. EVERYONE LOVES THEIR CHILDREN. DUH. MAYBE I WILL PUT THE NEGATIVE STUFF IN ANOTHER BLOG, BUT FOR NOW I AM LEAVING THIS BECAUSE I CAN'T AND DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT BACK. JENNIFER.
_____________________________________________________________________
I have been meaning to bitch, I mean blog, about this for quite awhile. Recent events have finally got me motivated enough to lift my fingers up and down on this keyboard thing.

Since I have had my twins, people come up to me all the time and tell me how they always wanted twins. The younger ones tell me how they want twins.

So you want twins? Really. Really? Well let me tell you why you don't and I'm going to be pretty negative and bitchy about it.

Would you like to hold your babies for the first time right after giving birth? 'Cause 54% of twins are born before 36 weeks, so there is a good chance you will have to deal with the heartbreak of them being in the NICU, with tubes in them. They could be fighting for their lives, or maybe just needing to be helped along a little. Either way, it is horrible. I know twins born at 38 weeks who still needed to be in the NICU. I'm not sure why, I didn't want to ask the mother. I knew something had to be wrong, because I met those twins at therapy. Which brings me to my next point.

Would you like to bring your babies home and watch them grow up happy and healthy and have a perfect little time raising them? 'Cause I know four twin moms by meeting them when I take Evan to therapy, and I know "of" even more through those moms or the therapists. And at least one of the twins in each set needs therapy to help with eating, speech, development, or physical limitations. That means that you will spend your days running to therapists and instead of just playing with your babies, you will also be doing stretches or other therapy remedies throughout your day. Most of this goes back to the fact that twins are born too early. In Evan's case, he was considered full term (still had 4 weeks to bake), but let's not forget that it's pretty cramped in that good ole uterus. Which brings me to my next point.

If they get to bake for a good amount of time, there is still a risk of the twins squishing each other during development. Amelia was a bit of a room hog and forced Evan to remain in a squat position with his head down. So, he developed torticollis, meaning his neck muscle on one side doesn't want to stretch as much, so his head wants to tilt. I didn't know how common this was until I started to take him to therapy. Does this warrant a shirt for him that says, "It's a twin thing."?? But seriously, what bullcrap for him. On top of everything else, he has to deal with torticollis? COME ON!

Oh and here is one that just happened to me 10 minutes ago.

Do you want to enjoy holding a baby, watching them sleep, and just enjoying them? Running your fingers through their hair and kissing their cheek? Well, reality check, it's not going to happen if you have twins. This makes me want to cry every day. They are growing up so fast and I don't have a lot of baby time left. But I can't just enjoy my baby, 'cause there is another one I have to tend to when the first one falls asleep in my arms. I had to put my beautiful baby girl down just now even though I didn't want to 'cause Evan was crying for me.

Well now I told you off, girl working at The Children's Place, and you, you gortex coat wearing lady at the grocery store.

Why am I so fired up? Because my friend Laura is in the hospital with her twins for Failure to Thrive at 10 months. They were born at 28 1/2 weeks due to Intra-uterine Growth Restriction. She has been given the runaround by doctors, nurses, you name it. How frustrating is it to know as a mother that something is wrong and people, the people who are supposed to help, won't listen. Or won't return a fricking phone call!! This is the final straw on the "I want twins" bullshit I get at least once a week. We are hoping and agnostically praying up here that everything will turn out OK. We have plans for both of our Evans to one day run around the mall play area while making fun of singleton moms!

Good day, live long and prosper, peace I'm outta here.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I love you! Thank you.
And today while we were in the pre-surgery holding area with the boys we had a lady in the bay next to us say that she wants twins. We let them cry in unison and said, "You want this?"

Anonymous said...

Hope your friends babies get better soon!!!! People just don't think before they speak. Twins are adorable, but the patience you all must have is incredible!!!

gina said...

Anyone who says they want twins has likely never had a baby. Just having one baby makes makes you marvel at idea of multiples. Oh, and, twins run in my family. Ay!