Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday Evan and Amelia!!

This is an exciting day. Well, except for the fact that I took them to the doctor today and got them shots. I didn't realize that that isn't very nice to do to them on their birthday. How horrible am I? I did it because I couldn't wait until next week to find out how big they are. I wanted to see if they are on the growth curve yet. Oh well, they get presents later, right?

Unfortunately, they are still zero percentile for height and weight! Amelia is only 15 lbs, 13 ozs and 27.5 inches, which means she has only gained 1/2 a lb since October. Evan is 17 lbs, 3 ozs and 28.5 inches. We thought for sure Evan would be over 18 lbs. The doctor didn't seem concerned because the growth curve is straightening out at 12 months, and they and I (?) am small, but I'm concerned. I think since they were born 4 weeks early they should still be growing a lot. I'm really sick of nonchalant doctors. I could stay on formula, I could switch to whole milk, whatever I want... Could I get some frickin' advice from a doctor? Jeezus.

We aren't having a birthday party until the 17th because John won't have to study too much that weekend. We won't be able to have everyone over, for obvious reasons, but they get to have a small "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" party with John's side of the family in Fall River. And yes, I do have some Mickey Mouse ears for them to wear (yeah, right).

To mark the occasion, here are what Evan and Amelia are doing right now:


Evan:
  • scales the fence.
  • stands in his crib.
  • walks in an acrobatic style knee walk.
  • hides toys behind his back so Amelia can't see them. As she moves around him, he moves the toy to the opposite side.
  • knows the difference between the fake toy remote and the real remote and gets very angry when he wants the real one and you give him the fake one.
  • throws tantrums in the high chair until you give him a puff (cereal, not a smoke).
  • thinks I'm hysterical. Doesn't everyone?
  • is perfectly happy playing with toys and kicking the ground.
  • loves books and cries if you stop reading. Or if he sees one from afar and you try and hide it. This goes for DVD cases as well. I would just give them the books and cases, but they eat them!
  • waves hello and goodbye, but not to strangers. He puts his head down for strangers so they don't know he's there.

Amelia:

  • dances to music.
  • tries to pull her shirt over her head.
  • tries to climb over the fence.
  • walks in circles.
  • screams at the top of her lungs if she doesn't get her way.
  • screams at the top of her lungs for no reason.
  • is addicted to her mommy and wants her all day long all the time.
  • can drink out of a straw.
  • also cries when she sees a DVD case and we take it away.
  • is addicted to her pacifier. I am not looking forward to stopping that soon.
  • lights up when I put shoes on her. Of course.
  • loves to be thrown into the air.
  • has done a couple of somersaults all by herself!
  • waves Hi and has said "Hi", too!

Here are pics from today. My camera spontaneously deleted the first batch, which I'm torn to pieces about because they were really good.

"Stay there so I can take a picture. Please!"

"I'm tired, I'll think I'll sit down for a bit."

"I'm coming to get you, Mom..."
Monkey brains!!
Evan giving his froggy blanket (not kitty) kisses.


No comments: